Saturday, October 17, 2009

Thailand

I guess you guys haven’t heard from me in a while. I think first I will tell about the trip to Thailand. We left the airport on Thursday evening and took a 2-hour ride to Kuwait City; next leg was 7 hours to Bangkok Thailand. We arrived at the hotel at about 1. They boys (Justin, Jamie and Jonathan) had already been there for a couple days. We got to our rooms and found out the guys were on the same floor as us (17th, the view was really cool of the big city) and went to their room, no answer. Called a couple times, left a message, knocked a couple more times, nothing. I was starting to get a little upset, oh well us girls would go find something to eat, I knocked one more time as the elevators were coming and they were there! It was sooooo great to see them all. I hadn’t really talked to Jamie but a few words since he went to Ohio and saw Jonathan a week before I left but it was great to have them all together in one spot! We all (the boys and Jamie, Audry & me) went to a little hole in the wall place for food. We were already very tired. The time difference is only 4 hours but we had an overnight flight and I slept maybe an hour the whole time. Next we went to the suit shop. The boys had begun looking to get custom tailored suits made but hadn’t made any decisions yet. We picked out fabric for each of them and they measured them and picked out styles and such. It was really cool, and they paid only $80 a suit! Also, if needed they can get them done in 24 hours. After that it was pretty much time for the first church service that night at 7 and the off to bed! Slept amazing.

One of my favorite things about Thailand was the complete difference it is from Jordan. Neither were the U.S. but it was refreshing to have a change. In Jordan everything is dry, sandy, shades of tan, Muslim, and conservative. In Thailand it was tropical, humid, greens and colorful flowers, and Buddhist. Very very different cultures. But way cool that I get to see so much variety. The hotel was really nice, 5 star I think and included breakfast, which was a huge buffet. Saturday night we went to dinner and a show. The Siam Niramit Show was a cultural show about Thailand by dancing to show stories. The show was okay; I think I missed a lot because later a lady was telling me that she had been reading about Thailand history and caught/connected many things that I had no idea were happening. The best part I thought was the stage design. One part a river opened up in the floor of the stage and a bunch a rain stormed from the top. That was really cool. OH and before I got picked up by an elephant! The guy asked me if I wanted and I thought he elephant would eat me but I stood next to him and put my arm over his trunk and he just rapped it around me and lifted me up! It was very weird and slightly scary but how many people can say they have done that! :)

The next day was supposed to be a tour of the Grand Palace. Justin and I however, did not make it. I skipped lunch and took a quick nap before and when I came out to the busses to meet the boys Jamie said, um Justin is having problems, he might not make it. Apparently the ATM he tried to use was not working and ate his debit card and would not give it back. Since it was a Sunday no banks were open and no one would come to open it up. We ended up on the phone forever and then just canceling his card. Jamie and Jonathan said the Palace was really good though. I have pictures posted but can’t tell you much about it. We ended up going to a mall and finding a Mexican food place! There is NO Mexican in Jordan and since it is my favorite, I feel a little deprived. It was amazing. We met back up with Jamie and Jonathan and went back to the Thomas’s suit place for their fitting. They tried on, made some suggestions, also, Jonathan decided he wanted another one and we brought more people with us so we picked out more fabric and got them measured. We went to a place with a bunch of shops and looked around and bartered a bit. They are crazy about bartering here and they boys were really good at it, I think they flirted a little.

The next day we went to a Floating Market. I think it was one of the coolest things we did there. We road a boat on this man made river where all these people have houses along it and their own boats when we came to the market sections where the sellers are in boats selling their stuff and buyer are either walking around at the main place or in their own boats buying stuff. I just loved it.

Our next tour was to the River Kwai. We went to the Bridge over the river Kwai which has been in several movies. Then we took a train on the Death Railroad. This was a railroad that POWs built and tons died. From there we took a boat ride on the river.

Other than tours we did TONS of shopping. We also road in tuk tuks and one night a group of us went to karaoke. Besides the tours I would say most of our trip consisted of walking, shopping and eating. We also got massages! Prices there are very cheap, and you can barter so its pretty affordable once you are there. All in all it was a great trip, like always, it went so fast.

I have tons of photos online. There are 2 albums. Here are the links.

Thailand Photos 1


Thailand Photos 2

No comments:

Post a Comment