Saturday, August 29, 2009

Mt. Nebo

I got 8 hours of sleep Thursday night! Okay I still woke up at 530am BUT went to bed at 930pm so I think I'm getting the hang of it.

I went on my first group run. We went on an about 2 mile route they have been doing and it was pretty nice, the only problem, "Inshallah Hill." Inshallah is a term the Jordanians use often meaning, God willing. We named it ourselves. I have no idea how to measure the height or the distance of this hill that we live on top of but what I do know is that I felt like my lungs were going to explode from my chest. It was absolutely ridiculous. Anyways, I had to walk a little which is odd for me but I made it alive. It should be great training for us... Inshallah.

We then took a taxi to the bus station and the bus to Medaba. (By the way, since there is 5 of us, and we don’t like spending money on transportation, us four girls always cram into the not so roomy back seats of the taxis.) Once in Medaba we found another taxi that would take us to Mt. Nebo. The view from Mt. Nebo was kind of cool but hard for me to grasp the fact that Moses stood in the same spot as God showed him the land…

Deuteronomy 34:1 Then Moses went to Mount Nebo from the plains of Moab and climbed Pisgah Peak, which is across from Jericho. And the LORD showed him the whole land, from Gilead as far as Dan; 2 all the land of Naphtali; the land of Ephraim and Manasseh; all the land of Judah, extending to the Mediterranean Sea F64 ; 3 the Negev; the Jordan Valley with Jericho – the city of palms – as far as Zoar. 4 Then the LORD said to Moses, "This is the land I promised on oath to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and I told them I would give it to their descendants. I have now allowed you to see it, but you will not enter the land."
5 So Moses, the servant of the LORD, died there in the land of Moab, just as the LORD had said. 6 He was buried F65 in a valley near Beth-peor in Moab, but to this day no one knows the exact place. 7 Moses was 120 years old when he died, yet his eyesight was clear, and he was as strong as ever.


We went to a smaller, local restaurant to eat Friday night dinner. We shared kabobs (on pita with hummus & Turkish salad, which is like an amazing salsa) and then went to a sweet shop and shared some Jordanian dessert.

Today is Saturday, I slept for 9.5-10 hours! Went to sleep at about 930-10pm, again was exhausted, and woke up at 730am! I didn’t even hear the call to prayer at 430! Good time to get on track since school starts tomorrow. We ate brunch together and then Tine, a girl that was on the project last year who is still staying for another month joined us for church service in our apartment, and after ate linner (lunch/dinner). It’s 6pm and I’m getting very tired already, debating weather to take a nap or try to tough it out and get to bed early again.

Other things: I got a cell phone. Pretty excited about that, I actually can receive calls and text from the US too!
Also here is a video of our flat…


Here is a link to my public facebook photo album. Right now you can see a couple pictures from our flat as well as Mt. Nebo photos, I will continue to add.

PHOTOS

4 comments:

  1. it really sounds like you are having a blast! enjoy everything and take it all in! LOVE YOU! Ciera

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have falafel envy...

    Love ya!
    Stac

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty amazing view off that balcony Kelley!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Kelley - How exciting to be in Jordan and to get to go to Mt. Nebo! What a fun day!! Am so happy for you! We had a hill at AC like the "Neshallah" - we called it Hearbreak Hill. Love you - Aunt Angie

    ReplyDelete