Sunday, September 13, 2009

I should be sleeping...

Despite the fact that I am sick, I am up at 11:45pm because I’m just that dedicated to you. Okay yeh you’re right, I can’t sleep. AND I have to be up bright and early at 5:30am! AND to top it off, tomorrow is the Iftar for my school so the kids and I will be staying at school until the iftar starts at about 6:45pm then eating THEN probably a long bus ride home. Don’t get me wrong, the iftar sounds great and all, I am just dreading staying at school all day and no nap, ESPECIALLY since I am still up right now…. And have a cold, yuck. We went to the store the other day and bought a bunch of snacks since everyone else will be fasting all day. So ready for Ramadan to be over, only 7 more days!

This past week not much new has happened to tell about. We are getting use to the kids and how we are treated and how to treat them. The past couple days I’ve had the chance to talk with the art teacher I’m with at lot since we have only had morning classes. I have learned a lot from talking with her and she says the same as we swap stories about our different religions and countries. She was so surprised to hear that there a some Christians (like me) that don’t eat pork, also surprised that we have a day of fast like they do (except for ours is a day, not a month, THANKFULLY!). She also said I can eat my food in her room! Since she is pregnant she is not fasting right now so we eat together every now and then. I was very excited to stop stuffing my face in the moth ball bathroom. I have also started a little word bank of words Arabic words I have picked up and she is teaching me more. I also think she shared her cold with me :( no fun.

Sunday is Eduardo’s birthday and since we are going to be gone his wife, Stephanie, schemed up a plan. She made one of his favorite cakes (tres Lecha=3 milk) and then we took him to one of his favorite U.S. restaurants… Fuddruckers. It was all planned out so 1. he didn’t know she made a cake today (she is very sneaky) and 2. we got all the way to the restaurant in the taxi without him knowing where we were going until we walked up to it. Tine also came along so today we set our record by getting 6 people in the taxi.

Next week is going to be such a great busy week. Mr. Horchak (a minister from Dallas, TX) is coming in to visit on Sunday. Then 2 guys that work in the video department at the church home office (the guys Jamie is working for) come in Monday. They will be shooting a video of us at our school and some shots of the town to make a video about the project. I can’t wait for all of you to see it since it will be the best look you can get into our life here. Tuesday they will come to my school and Tuesday night we have another Iftar at the other school where Princess Sarveth would like to meet us. Wednesday & Thursday they will visit the other work places and we will travel around town a bit. Friday we will go to Petra. THEN the whole next week we have off for their holiday of Eid. This marks the end of Ramadan. After that we will have a few days of work the next week and we are all off to Thailand. This is what I am most excited for because I will get to see my 3 boys! Justin, Jamie & Jonathan, (boyfriend, brother, cousin) the flying J’s will be traveling together to join us for the feast for 10 days there. This next month is going to fly by!

Okay now for some sleep please!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah! Ten days with Justin in Thailand! Hope you are all well by then and can just have a great time.

    Your blogs are so interesting, Kelley, and it will be great to see the video too.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete